Trademarks & GI Practice
Mr. R.A. Tiwari is a former Deputy Registrar of Trademark & GI with nearly 30 years of service in the office of the Controller General of Patents Designs and Trademarks (CGPDTM), Government of India. He has also practiced law as an advocate for more than 5 years, before joining the government office. During his service he assisted the then CGPDTM by supervising all the functions of the Trade Marks Registry (TMR) office, its automation and reorganization of its activities which yielded appreciable results in the performance of the TMR office. He was an officer in charge for implementation of the Madrid System for international registration of marks in Indian IP office and had supervised all the functions of the International Registration wing of the TMR set up for this purpose. He has represented Indian IP office before various international fora like World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), European Union Intellectual Property Organization (EUIPO), Japan Patent Office (JPO), Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), Korean Intellectual Property (KIPO), Australian intellectual property office (IP Australia). During his service in the office of the CGPDTM he has decided various oppositions and contentious matters of trademark. He has also been instrumental in preparing draft of amendments in the Trade Marks Rules, 2002 and the draft of the Trade Marks Rules 2017. He has delivered various lectures and made numerous presentations about trademarks, Madrid System, geographical indications and copyright in the training programs and awareness seminars.
From February 2016 to October 2020 – worked as Deputy Registrar of Trademarks and GI at the head office of the TMR at Mumbai in the office of the CGPDTM Government of India.
Mr. Tiwari supervised all technical functions of the TMR including International Registration Division set up for dealing with international applications originating from India and international registrations notified to Indian office under the Madrid System, Hearing and disposal of contested matters of trademarks and Disposal of various types of applications/requests made in relation to trademark applications or registered trademarks.
From December 2009 to February 2016 – worked as Assistant Registrar of Trade Marks and GI at the TMR Branch Kolkata and thereafter at head office of the TMR at Mumbai in the office of the CGPDTM Government of India.
Mr. Tiwari was the Technical Head of the TMR Branch Kolkata, undertook Hearing and disposal of contested matters of trademarks and Disposal of various types of applications/requests made in relation to trademark applications or registered trademarks. He further Assisted the then CGPDTM in supervision of all matters relating to trademarks and Geographical Indications an also Headed the IT Committee of the TMR and responsible for its further automation.
From July 1999 to December 2009 – worked as Senior Examiner of Trade Marks at the head office of the TMR at Mumbai and thereafter at TMR Branch Kolkata under the office of the CGPDTM, Government of India.
Mr. Tiwari undertook hearing and disposal of show cause as well as contested matters of trademarks as well as disposal of various types of applications/requests made in relation to trademark applications or registered trademarks. He also worked as Technical Head of a Branch of the TMR Branch Kolkata.
From April 1991 to July 1999 – worked as Examiner of Trade Marks at the head office of the TMR at Mumbai under the office of the CGPDTM, Government of India.
Mr. Tiwari undertook Examination of applications made for registration of trademarks and Disposal of various types of applications/requests made in relation to trademark applications or registered trademarks
From January 1986 to April 1991 Practiced law as an advocate in Uttar Pradesh (UP)
As an advocate took up civil and criminal matters and appeared before Districts and Sessions Court and the courts sub-ordinate to it in Uttar Pradesh
Licenses, Accreditations, & Education
- Enrolled as an Advocate in Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh
- Trademark Attorney registered with the office of the CGPDTM, Government of India
- Done Distance Learning certificate courses namely General Course on Intellectual Property (DL-101) and Electronic Commerce and Intellectual Property (DL-202), from WIPO
- Bachelor of Laws (LL. B) in 1985 from Banaras Hindu University (B.H.U) Varanasi, India.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in 1982 from Banaras Hindu University (B.H.U) Varanasi, India.
Speaking Engagements & Related Events
- Mr. Tiwari has very often imparted training to Examiners and other officials of the TMR at Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Intellectual Property Management (RGNIIPM). He has also delivered many lectures in WIPO Academy organized there.
- He has delivered numerous lectures in IP awareness seminars organized by government organizations, PSUs and educational institutions including Maharashtra National Law University (MNLU) Mumbai, National Law School of India University (NLSIU) Bangalore.
Affiliations, Memberships & Participations
- Mr. Tiwari was Indian National Coordinator of the program Intellectual Property Cooperation between India and European Union (EUI-IPC) during the period from the year 2014 to 2017.
- Mr. Tiwari, has participated many times in the General Assembly of the WIPO along with the CGPDTM and other senior officers of the Government of India. He has also participated in the Working Group meetings organized by the WIPO as representative of the Indian IP office.
- In addition to it, he has been involved in mutual cooperation and exchange of best practices programs in the field of intellectual properties with many other IP offices, like EUIPO, JPO, KIPO, IP Australia.