IP & Trademarks Practice
Pranay has experience in litigation pertaining to trademark infringement and passing off, trade name disputes, trademark dilution, trademark debasement, and piracy of designs and copyrights. His practice includes enforcing and defending intellectual property before various courts, tribunals and judicial fora in civil and criminal matters, as well as oppositions, cancellations and appeals before the Trademark Office.
He also devises effective enforcement strategies for clients, which includes sending Legal Notices (Cease and Desist – cum – Demand letters), conducting on-site investigations, registering IP with custom authorities to prevent import of infringing and pirated products, conducting negotiations, sending notices to ISPs (Internet Service Providers), conducting raids etc. He advises clients in strategizing negotiations carried out with adversaries and dispute resolution.
He also has experience in conducting domain name administrative proceedings under the .IN Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (INDRP) and the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP).
He currently serves on Enforcement Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA).
- IP-Evidence (Typology, Quality, Reliability, Review, Admissibility, Relevancy & Production); Proof (Onus, Sequitur, Corroboration, Establishment, Challenge & Refutation); Trials (Digital Data, Documents, Digital & Electronic Materials, Exhibits, Affidavits, Depositions, Search & Discovery, Cross Examinations, Surveys & Experts); Trademarks; IP Transactions – Licensing, Assignments and Franchising; Evidence in IP Cases; Corporate-Commercial Litigation; General Litigation; IP in Media & Entertainment – TV, Film, Music, Performing Arts, Events, Shows, Broadcasting; Internet-Streaming, Digital, Online & Social Media; Creation, Distribution, Dissemination, Reproduction, Serialization, Syndication, Co-Development, Online and Digital Piracy; Adaptation & Parody; Copyrights;
Licenses, Accreditations, Internships & Education
- Member, Delhi High Court Bar Association
- Advocate, Bar Council of Delhi
- B.A. LL.B. (Hons.), National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
- (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry) FICCI Online Certification Course on Intellectual Property Rights & Competition Law
Publications & Submissions
- Submission (along with Hardik Choudhary) dated April 19, 2022 (available here) comments on the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy Status Report
- INDIA: Passing Off Suit Continues, Infringement Suit Stayed (International Trademark Association) INTA Bulletin, November 03, 2021
- ‘To Block or Not To Block?: Analysing the Efficacy of Website Blocking Orders and Dynamic Injunctions in Combating Digital Piracy’, The Journal of Intellectual Property Law, 2020, Vol.11 (with Nayantara Malhotra)
- Submission (along with Sunidhi Bansal) dated March 21, 2021 (available here) comments on Guidelines for “Influencer advertising on digital media” – draft for stakeholder consultation
- ‘INDIA: Trademark Ad Orders Must Feature Reasoning’ (International Trademark Association) INTA Bulletin, June 15, 2020 (with Siddharth Varshney)
- ‘INDIA: Indication of Geographical Origin Does Not Directly Bar Trademark Registration’, (International Trademark Association) INTA Bulletin, February 1, 2020 (with Shreya Das)
- ‘INDIA: Composite Suit for Design Infringement and Passing Off of Trade Dress Held to Be Maintainable’, (International Trademark Association) INTA Bulletin, April 1, 2019
Speaking Engagements & Related Events
- Spoke at a Webinar on “Intellectual Property Rights in the Metaverse” conducted by National Law University, Jodhpur’s Centre for IP Studies, 2022
- Co-conducted webinar ‘Judicial Developments and Trends in Trademark law in India (2019-2020)’, National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ), 2020, (with Siddharth Varshney)
Affiliations, Memberships & Participations
- Member, Dwarka Court Bar Association (DCBA)
- Member, International Trademark Association (INTA)